Ibukun Akinyemi, in this interview with Iceberg slim, discovers the rap veteran’s passion for music, lifestyle and plans for the future.
What inspired you into music?
Music has always been a part of me, and I always wanted to make my own music. So once I knew how to, and had the equipment to do so, I went forward with it.
How did you discover you can sing?
I began singing in the choir, at an early age, and then when I entered high school, I joined the school choir. For me to get that far with it, I guess people figured I had a nice voice.
How did you come about your name?
The name ‘Iceberg Slim’ was given to me when I was 15 years old, by my cousin. The original ‘Iceberg Slim’ was a pimp from Chicago, in the 40’s. My cousin gave me the name because I had a lot of girlfriends. I’m not a pimp, but I liked the name, so I kept it.
Is any album in the making for your fans?
Yes, I’m working towards my debut album which should be out in 2014.
What is your philosophy of life?
Life is what you make it. We only have one life to live, let’s make every moment count.
How does Iceberg Slim relax?
I usually try to relax at home, with some good movies and junk food.
Which kind of girl catches your attention?
I’m attracted to intelligence, driven, and goal-oriented women. A woman that will add value to a man is a perfect woman in my book.
What is the most valuable asset you possess?
The most valuable possession that I have, which is priceless, is my six-year-old daughter. I wouldn’t trade her for the world.
How do you cope with your female fans?
I and my female fans have an agreement, we both know what’s up! They show me love, and I show them back...nothing more, nothing less.
Your challenge in the music industry
When I first came to Nigeria, the only challenge I faced was not being able to connect with the people through my music. My style of rap wasn’t exactly the typical Naija sound, so I later learned I’d have to slow it down, then add some pidgin, with a twist of Yoruba.
What is next for you?
I’m set to release the highly anticipated video for my latest single “Ayanfe (remix)” featuring MI.
What is your most memorable musical experience?
Till date, my most memorable musical experience was performing at ‘The Apollo Theatre’, in Manhattan, New York. The greatest entertainers we know and love have performed on that stage, including but not limited to, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, and Fela Kuti.
What are some things people don’t know about you?
One thing people don’t know about me is that I’m actually a very quiet person. That’s very ironic and in contrast to the type of music I make, or the way I appear in public.
What is the gadget you cant do without?
I can’t do without my phones, my Blackberry and my iPhone...these two are my life-lines!
What is the craziest thing you have ever done?
The craziest thing I’ve ever done was jump into the deep end of a pool, when I didn’t know how to swim. I actually went to the pool with Sauce Kid and some friends; he knew how to swim, so he immediately jumped in, I followed suit, not knowing that the pool was 10ft.
Music has always been a part of me, and I always wanted to make my own music. So once I knew how to, and had the equipment to do so, I went forward with it.
How did you discover you can sing?
I began singing in the choir, at an early age, and then when I entered high school, I joined the school choir. For me to get that far with it, I guess people figured I had a nice voice.
How did you come about your name?
The name ‘Iceberg Slim’ was given to me when I was 15 years old, by my cousin. The original ‘Iceberg Slim’ was a pimp from Chicago, in the 40’s. My cousin gave me the name because I had a lot of girlfriends. I’m not a pimp, but I liked the name, so I kept it.
Is any album in the making for your fans?
Yes, I’m working towards my debut album which should be out in 2014.
What is your philosophy of life?
Life is what you make it. We only have one life to live, let’s make every moment count.
How does Iceberg Slim relax?
I usually try to relax at home, with some good movies and junk food.
Which kind of girl catches your attention?
I’m attracted to intelligence, driven, and goal-oriented women. A woman that will add value to a man is a perfect woman in my book.
What is the most valuable asset you possess?
The most valuable possession that I have, which is priceless, is my six-year-old daughter. I wouldn’t trade her for the world.
How do you cope with your female fans?
I and my female fans have an agreement, we both know what’s up! They show me love, and I show them back...nothing more, nothing less.
Your challenge in the music industry
When I first came to Nigeria, the only challenge I faced was not being able to connect with the people through my music. My style of rap wasn’t exactly the typical Naija sound, so I later learned I’d have to slow it down, then add some pidgin, with a twist of Yoruba.
What is next for you?
I’m set to release the highly anticipated video for my latest single “Ayanfe (remix)” featuring MI.
What is your most memorable musical experience?
Till date, my most memorable musical experience was performing at ‘The Apollo Theatre’, in Manhattan, New York. The greatest entertainers we know and love have performed on that stage, including but not limited to, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, and Fela Kuti.
What are some things people don’t know about you?
One thing people don’t know about me is that I’m actually a very quiet person. That’s very ironic and in contrast to the type of music I make, or the way I appear in public.
What is the gadget you cant do without?
I can’t do without my phones, my Blackberry and my iPhone...these two are my life-lines!
What is the craziest thing you have ever done?
The craziest thing I’ve ever done was jump into the deep end of a pool, when I didn’t know how to swim. I actually went to the pool with Sauce Kid and some friends; he knew how to swim, so he immediately jumped in, I followed suit, not knowing that the pool was 10ft.
No comments:
Post a Comment